posted by Jordan Gottsacker on December 20, 2014
Dear Host and Entertainer,From the details in your menus, food prep + guest lists, to furniture arrangements, decorations + holiday scents, you are a master of party planning and execution. Guests flock to your soirée because of your perfectly crafted settings to socialize and share in your cuisine, games, and laughter. Your natural social grace preserves your gathering’s festive momentum from guests’ arrival to departure. Cheers to your magnificent ability to turn the ordinary into a display of extraordinary, and making this holiday gathering season something truly special.
5 Essential Entertaining Elements:
1. The Food + Drinks:
++ Keep a dressy tea towel on display to double as a style element and easy way to clean accidental spills.
Nest Suggests: Le Jacquard Francais's Tea Towels
++ You can never have enough ice on hand! Keep it cool with a statement piece ice bucket.
Nest Suggests: Simon Pearce and Mariposa Ice Buckets
++ Food & drinks do not have to be full of frills, just presented in a creative manner
2. The Decorations:
++ Add a festive glimmer to your party space by stringing in some unexpected holiday lights.
Nest Suggests: Creating your own mantel pennant with thick string and pinecones.
++ Factor layers of texture, scale, & color into your scheme.
Nest Suggests: Using colorful citrus fruit to add an element of freshness to your palette.
3. Furniture Arrangments:
++ Control the crowd by creating obvious cues in places you want guests to gather. Designate intimate groups of 2-5 chairs with a round ottoman.
Nest Suggests: Company C's Hooked Wool Ottomans
++ Set up food stations wide spread throughout your entertainment zone to encourage mingling. Make the food stand out by serving on a tray or serving stand.
Nest Suggests: Mariposa String of Pearl Trays or Serving Stands
++ Create a cozy and playful kids area.
Nest Suggests: Dash & Albert Striped Poufs and Eeboo Kids Games
4. Festive Scents:
++ Create a diverse experience for your guests senses, encourage by layering festive scents.
Nest Suggests: Alora Festa + Pino Diffusers & Barr-Co's Fir & Grapefruit Household Products + Cleaners
5. Menu Planning:
++ Breathe new life into your classic holiday menu. Calm your nerves by stocking up on culinary inspiration and literature well before your guests arrive.
Seriously Simple Parties by Diane Rossen Worthington
Sips & Apps by Kathy Casey
Bar Tartine Techniques & Recipes by Nicolaus Balla + Courtney Burns
No matter what your entertaining style may be, know your ability to bring people together is truly cherished. Be sure to visit next month's blog post featuring another attribute we love in our Nest customers!
posted by Mary Gallimore on October 15, 2010
Fall is finally here and we have some gorgeous, textural ways to layer on the warmth....
- Add an inviting Egyptian cotton layer to your bed with Peacock Alley All-Seasons Blankets in white, natural or linen.
- Fluff up pillows on sofas and chairs with perfect-for-autumn shades in linen by Libeco, or glorious bold prints by Design Legacy.
- Drape a soft, luxurious cotton or mohair throw over the back of your favorite chair to wrap up in while you're reading - or dozing.
- Illuminate your rooms by paying special attention to lamps and shades. Jamie Young has a wealth of elegant options, while Slip practically lets you design your own.
- Set the mood with a scented candle, like Kobo's '24' with tones of smoke, leather and oakmoss, or a reed diffuser in rich green notes by Alora or Simpatico.
- Paint a room for living! Warm, earthy tones like spicy oranges, warm greens, caramels and chocolates help you feel relaxed and cozy.
- Check out our new collection of Spectrum wool rugs by Company C in textured hues like Pumpkin, Black Bean, Moss and Amethyst, in sizes to fit a doorway, a hallway, or the whole floor!
Fall is also a fun time to be in the kitchen and to entertain family and friends...
- Dress your table with luscious, easy-care linens in autumnal colors and patterns by Le Jacquard and Couleur Nature.
- Find new comfort food recipes in books like Braises and Stews, Savory Baking, and A Good Day for Soup to make for a relaxed and casual 'big night in'.
- Bring flora and fauna indoors with sustainable wood, pewter, naturally-shed antler and recycled aluminum tableware and serving accessories by Vagabond House and Mariposa.
- An uneven row or cluster of candles in rich, warm hues add graceful lighting to the dining table or buffet.
And the best layer of all? Surround yourself with those you love.